Last minute gift suggestions
For the sewer:
Anna Maria Horner‘s new book Seams To Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing is a revelation — bright, colorful, spiral-bound to lay flat on the table as you work. Not an ordinary stitchery book in the least. From introductory info on sewing machines and useful-but-often-overlooked sewing-related items such as pressing hams and various cutting tools, Horner tackles everything you need to know if you’re a beginner, and provides a great refresher for even the most stitch-savvy among us.
Unlike other similar sewing books, Horner tackles handsewing in an entire chapter of its own, with tips on everything from sewing perfect circles to simple embroidery stitches. The projects are adorable — I’m particularly in love with the Pin Cushion Caddy — and extend over a large range of project types, from garments to accessories to home dec and — fine art created with fabric. Horner is well known for her art pieces made with fabric, and shows you how to create photographic-style images using fabric and more. There is a pattern pocket filled with 10 original patterns, too — given what her single patterns retail for, that’s a deal in and of itself!
Check out the Seams to Me pool on Flickr!
Want a signed copy for Christmas? Buy one here in her store. Otherwise, it’s available at Amazon and elsewhere.
So that’s a book review / gift suggestion for you. Some other ideas…
For the knitter or crocheter:
- Year of Lace 2009 subscription. Can’t go wrong there!
- Socks that Rock 2009 sock club. Featuring some knitterly names you KNOW you want to show up on your doorstep.
- A hat from Cosy. Or her book.
- A subscription to Yarn Forward
- Addi Click interchangeable needles (want! want! want!)
- Anything from Jennie the Potter
For the spinner or dyer:
- 2009: Year of the Dreamer datebook by artclub aka Nikol Lohr
- Kindle. What, you haven’t figured out how awesome I think they are yet?
- These amazing mugs
- Strauch Finest drumcarder (hey, a girl can dream)
- Free reign in the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab warehouse (everything in the Mad Tea Party collection is great, particularly Alice)
- A lifetime supply of roasted garlic onion jam
Hopefully this will help you out of a shopping dilemma or two — I know I certainly waited until the last minute this year!
I didn’t know you were a BPAL-er! We have more and more in common all the time! 🙂
I’m so with you on the roasted garlic onion jam…it totally rocks my world. Can’t live without it!
I’m passing your gift recs on to dh 🙂
Pingback: Craft & Found » Blog Archive » odds and ends monday (Edit)
Pingback: odds and ends monday « Craft and Found (Edit)