A few links to jump-start your brain if you’re thinking of joining the quilt block swap:
- Whip Up’s Quilting category
- Astronomy quilts
- Uncomfortable with choosing colors? Try this! (This would work for any craft, really. Team up with your knitting friends to trade snips of different colored yarns from all your stashes — try combining them on a page).
- The Dairy Barn art gallery in Athens, Ohio, where I went to college, sponsors the Quilt National every year. They’ve got back issues of the show catalog for sale here. Speaking of which… if we did a fundraiser for Heifer with this quilt swap, it would be hilarious to display it at the Dairy Barn first. Get it? Heifer… Dairy Barn… Oh, never mind.
- The Art of Fabric Collage was also a real kick in the pants for me, inspirationally. It has lots of great details and instructions.
- I’m not the only knitter with quilty thoughts: Kaffe Fassett is a master of the art. Here’s a good spot to find all his fabrics in one place, though Repro Depot is now stocking them, too.
- Purl, the NYC yarn store, just opened Purl Patchwork — also, check out the header image on their blog, it makes me want to haul out my embroidery stuff!
- Lest we forget, it was Kay and Ann who got everyone knitting log cabin squares — traditionally done as a patchwork quilting piece.
I really think this swap is going to bring me out of the mini-funk I’ve been in… not to mention clear out some of the fabric that’s just waiting to be used in something. I’ve got a stash that, while not as large as the yarn one, is fairly varied, and needs a little editing / sprucing up.