As promised, here’s additional information on the fibers we discussed today on Whole Living with Emily Hoffman:
Background information on some alt fibers is available here.
Some great alt fiber fabrics for sewing are available here.
My favorite alt fiber yarn producers:
- South West Trading Company. More alt fiber yarns than anyone, and spinning fibers, too!
- Blue Sky Alpacas — organic cotton and naturally colored cotton.
- Habu Textiles — pineapple, pine, kenaf, you name it — all the unusual stuff is here.
- Supernatural Sweet Georgia yarns — dyed with plant and natural materials. Amazing!
- Tilli Tomas — seacell/silk blends, yum!
- Fleece Artist — Sea Wool is a blend of seaweed and wool. Sheep by the sea!
- Handmaiden — Sea Silk, Great Big Sea and Flaxen — fabulous, and fabulous colors, too.
Hopefully this will inspire you — see photos from the book and more here, and feel free to leave questions in the comments if you have any!