Amy Sedaris, hilarious sister of David Sedaris and expert maker of both cheeseballs and cupcakes, has an advice column in Believer magazine. A recent query went as follows: “A knitting pattern gave me bad instructions and I donâ€™t know what to do with my rage. Any suggestions?”
This sounds to me like Knitterâ€™s Rage. Not to be confused with aggressive knitting. You should take this test:
- Do I feel I need to â€œget backâ€ at other knitters for wronging me?
- Do I get angry with knitters who knit faster than I do?
- Do I find myself yelling at other knitters whether they can hear me or not?
- Do I cut off other knitters when driving?
- While knitting, do I often think, â€œHey, these heavy steel needles would look great sticking out of that guyâ€™s skull?â€
Admittedly, sometimes I get knitter’s rage…usually when I’m working on a new design and I have to redo something five times to get it right!